Meeting notes are available online.
USS Hornet in Alameda
When the Next Strong Earthquake Shakes the Bay Area: Our Hospitals and Schools—Are They Ready? Will They Recover?
- Opening Remarks
- Harold Brooks, American Red Cross & Pete Sutherland, USS Hornet
- Earthquake Hazards in the East Bay
- Dr. David Schwartz, USGS & Bay Area Earthquake Alliance Co-Chair
- The Hospital Seismic Mandate: A Balance Between Seismically Safe Buildings and Forced Closure
- Roger Richter, California Hospital Association
- Schools and Health Care Systems—Litigation and Recovery Priorities
- Jeanne Perkins, Consultant to ABAG Earthquakeand Hazards Program
Roger Richter is Senior Vice President for Professional Services at the California Hospital Association (CHA), a trade association which represents over 400 hospitals and systems, in Sacramento. At CHA he is a registered lobbyist responsible for energy, facility, environmental and disaster planning issues. He serves as a liaison with state regulatory agencies, including the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development, Hospital Building Safety Board, California Buildings Standards Commission, State Fire Marshal, Cal/OSHA, Cal EPA, Emergency Medical Services Authority, Department of Public Health, California Energy Commission and the California Public Utilities Commission.
Jeanne Perkins is a consultant working for the Association of Bay Area Governments and other local governments focusing on earthquake and hazards mitigation and long-term disaster recovery planning. (See quake.abag.ca.gov) She has developed estimates of housing losses, as well as estimates of transportation and infrastructure disruption, following future large earthquakes in the Bay Area with funding from NSF, USGS, Caltrans, CalEMA, FEMA, and others. She currently heads the effort to develop coordinated multi-hazard mitigation planning for the Bay Area so that common hazard maps and risk analyses lead to common mitigation strategies and long-term recovery priorities for the cities, counties, and special districts in the region.
- SF Main Library, Koret Auditorium June 11, 2014
- The Women’s Building, Audre Lorde Room May 29, 2013
- EBMUD Board Room September 27, 2012
- The Presidio Golden Gate Club April 24, 2012
- Association of Bay Area Governments, MetroCenter Auditorium June 13, 2011
- Fort Mason Center, Building C, Rm 210 April 19, 2011
- Wente Vineyards Visitor Center November 30, 2010
- EBMUD Board Room July 22, 2010
- San Francisco Public Library—Koret Auditorium March 8, 2010
- The Oakland Scottish Rite Center December 3, 2009
- USGS, Menlo Park September 24, 2009
- USS Hornet in Alameda August 27, 2009
- Romberg Tiburon Center (Bay Conference Center) July 29, 2009
- Doubletree SFO Hotel in Burlingame June 25, 2009
- San Jose Tech Museum of Innovation May 21, 2009
- The Oakland Scottish Rite Center March 19, 2009
- The Presidio Golden Gate Club (Cypress Room) February 19, 2009